Monday, November 26, 2007

gratitude is for always

our family tree
This season of gratitude and Thanksgiving has been oh, so poignant for me this year. This fall I've been carrying with me a heart swelling with joy and thankfulness for the wonder that is my life and experience. I have noticed that it is much easier to draw on these feelings of happiness in times of doubt and need, that it doesn't take as much time to dig down deep into my soul, wrangle the happy feelings, and pull them to the surface.


The meal

My in laws came up to the big city to celebrate the holiday with us. They too are vegans so planning and cooking for the big meal gave much more satisfaction than in Thanksgivings past. I guess I had never realized it before, but celebrating a meal the centers around a dead animal was rather dismal. Only being able to eat and enjoy the side dishes to the turkey, well....sucked. This year being able to imagine and put into place an entire meal that we could all take part in and relish with delight was very delicious indeed.

The table

I have been astonished at the realization that we are soon entering the winter season and all the celebrations that winter contains, and wonder where the time goes. The quickly passing time is a reminder to me that in every moment, every tick of the clock, there is always something to be thankful for.

The Thankful Tree

1 comment:

Julie said...

Glad to hear you guys had a good thanksgiving! We did too, although Damek didn't eat one bite of thanksgiving dinner, as he was hungry about 1/2 hour before it was all ready, so he stuffed himself full of appetizers:) He did enjoy leftovers the next day though:)

Love your tree!