Monday, February 23, 2009

sensitive

driving down the freeway this morning when the sun was barely peeking out from the behind the mountain. headlights zooming past, hot chai in a mug nearby, listening to NPR on the radio.
this would seem like a nice picture on the outside, but zoom in and see a heart that is feeling too raw, with a tinge of ache.

i hear a story on morning edition about kids from mumbai, india getting the chance to stand on the stage at the oscars in the spotlight while their families huddled around old television sets in their huts back home cheering their loved ones on. hearing this makes me cry, and i'm not sure why.

budget cuts for substance abuse programs, elderly couple in the restaurant trying earnestly to navigate their walkers, a young women in chains at the courthouse losing her child forever, my husband handing out money to homeless vets on the street corner......

snapshots of my day that cause me to wonder, why are we so cold to one another?

i have been trying to teach my son whom sometimes uses violence as a means to express his anger that when we hurt others we are also hurting ourselves. that we are all one.

a lesson the whole world needs to learn.

i want to tear down the walls that encase our hearts that have been built under the false notion that the walls are there to protect them, but the truth is they only leave us without the ability to care.
to really love.

i know that the only way to lead this movement is by example, so i will start with my heart wall one brick at a time.
won't you join me?
then we can be sensitive together.

2 comments:

Jan said...

We're cold and remote so we don't get hurt. It must be some primal directive that we protect ourselves. But at what cost? Our humanity? It's a hard thing to do, but over the years I've tried to take my walls down. I try to just put myself out there and do what I feel is right, no matter what the consequences are. I choose to believe that this is the right way to be.

Teri said...

Hey Aubrey!

Ok, so I know this isn't really a comment to your post...but I wanted to tell you I saw your sweet little boy today at Sego Lily. He was having a blast! Willow starts tommorrow :) Hope things are well! Sounds like you are doing happy things that feed your soul :)