Thursday, April 10, 2008

if you've got it, spend it

during lunch i was reading my favorite local alternative paper and came across this gem of a quote,

..God is perhaps not overwhelmingly impressed that we managed to pick up our dry cleaning, if we haven't returned in kind the gift we were given to live out.
No wonder an antique word for money is "talent." It's a clue that we are supposed to spend it, spend it all, here and now.

i have been chewing on this since, and it just solidified my need to create, create, create. i am wanting all things arty-photography, fiber arts, writing, beading, collaging, painting. i have been dreaming up how i could set up shop on etsy, maybe selling at the farmer's market this summer. i have a talent and i have been called upon to use it. i'll own this. it can be mine. if not, i would be turning my back on a very integral piece of me.

last night i attended a book binding class with friends and i so enjoyed myself. i have been scheming up ideas on how i could run with this new skill. so fun to learn something new, especially with friends.

when xavier saw the book i made this morning he immediately went to work on a book of his own. my mama pride just swelled watching him pour all of his attention and creativity into his book, and it turned out soooo cute. he was pretty proud of himself as well.

also, yay! my in-laws are making a spontaneous trip out to see us this weekend and i couldn't be more pleased. i may get a modified version of the girly weekend i've been craving after all.

5 comments:

Cali said...

You should look into getting your own binding machine. Then, you and the little guy could make memories, while you're making books to keep your memories. If you've got it, spend it.
Cali

Stephanie said...

I was like "Did Xavi write that!?!"
Wow!
I'm impressed.
I've been pondering our class, too.
I'm thinking something along the lines of "nature journal with some of those plants that we collect and press".
:)

Aubrey said...

i was impressed too. since making it he has had me read it over and over. each time he beams. very cute.

i like the idea of the nature journal. i was thinking maybe an artist's journal or idea book.

Stephanie Ozenne said...

I've been listening to lots of crafty podcasts lately. Some of them have good info for people who are interested in starting up a crafty business. I could dig through them and try to remember which ones had the advice, if you want. They are all very inspiring, even the ones without advice, so you might want to just listen to the archives yourself.

I listen to Craftsanity, the Crafty Pod, CraftCast, and the first season of Craft, Rock, Love by Vickie Howell (host of Knitty Gritty on DIY). They're all free on ITunes, and you can download them from their websites too. Let me know if you want me to compile a list of the business-oriented ones.

Aubrey said...

stephanie,
that would really rock. i don't have an ipod, is there another way to download and just listen on the computer?
thanks for having my back.

aubrey