Monday, June 9, 2008

shift: a continuation


i wrote my last post with much trepidation. i went to bed uneasy, worried that i would be viewed as a negative nelly. then, when chris read it this morning he sighed and told me he had a problem with it because it seemed so doom and gloom to him.
then i sighed.
sigh.

after all the sighing, chris and i had a really cool conversation and i was blown away at his perspective and it helped shift my thinking to a different vista. it opened the door to conversation about a subject that is just plain uncomfortable to think about. i have always prided myself on being a person that strives to live a joyful life. to appreciate the little moments that make up our most brilliant lives. i'll be first to say that our lives are truly magnificent. but recently i can't shake the feeling that all this magnificent living could hinder future generations ability to carry out their own beautiful lives.

or can it be enough to simply live joyfully, with love and appreciation? can we tread as lightly as we can on our dear mother and have hope that those after us will have the same opportunity? can we strike the balance between being concerned about the future, yet live an abundunt present?

i suppose at the end of the day all we have is what we have carried and cultivated in our hearts.
for today, i'm banking on love, gratitude, and hope.

what about you?

3 comments:

Chris Hennig said...

Love, hope & abundance... These are things we have that we can continue to develop in an attempt to build a better world. It is not only my job & your job, but everyone's job to build a future bright enough for our kids. Keep up the challenging thoughts. I love you.

Jan said...

You guys are so, so wonderful! I worried about my conversation with Aubrey yesterday when we had essentially the same discussion as her earlier post. I slept uneasily too; I want to think that we can have a joyful and abundant life while still treading lightly and doing things that will leave a kinder, healthier planet. I rejoiced in reading your newest post, along with Chris's comments and insight. This is what we are supposed to make our life's work. I laugh at the fear out there everywhere, choosing instead to cherish each and every day and be thankful for the abundance and love I have in my life.

Jan/Mom

Julie said...

I think it might be the distinct differences in what one would call a magnificent life (lots of money, big house, nice cars, lots of toys, ect..) and what another would call a magnificent life (unconditional love, needs being met, passions fostered and respected, being respected as an individual, being trusted to live our own lives, ect...). I think when the latter isn't happening then the former is being used to replace it.

I feel that as unschoolers our family is getting "back to nature" so to speak in the most fundamental sense. We are definitely redifining what is most important in our present society (love, abundance, gratitude, unconditional love, peace, ect..). I feel that when one doesn't feel love and gratitude and abudance & peace on a continual basis (especially as a child), how can they care for the greater world in which they live as they get older?

Love, gratitude & hope are the answer. Will people listen? That is the question.