Tuesday, July 8, 2008

(un) controlled chaos


oh, lord.

life never goes according to plan, does it? always swirling rapidly above my head and i am always eagerly jumping for it, like a madwoman trying to herd cats . i think that if i can only catch it this once i can contain and control something that at it's very foundation is elusive and mysterious. my hands fail to grasp it and it slips from my fingers.
life plays on, yet always to it's own music.

my daughter never fails to amaze me with her spunk.
yesterday she ran into the living room proudly to show dad what she found outside.
a rat.
no kidding.
freshly dead and hanging by it's tail to the horror of both chris and i.
there was plenty of screaming and flinging of limbs. lots of, what the hell's and oh my gods.
let's not forget to mention the frantic calls to mother dear and the health department (who does nothing.) we scoured the internet to see if we have some sort of rat infestation. we don't. we then scoured our house, cleaning everything. we felt like some mightily filthy, dirty people. the type of people that rats look at and think, well there's a place that i can get plenty of free meals. unfortunately, the rat wasn't there to cook us a meal. that scenario, albeit very odd, would have been highly favored over the one that played out.
i am pretty sure xavier is traumatized for life. wouldn't you be if you saw your parent's acting like a bunch of freaks? he has been talking of rats incessantly and refused to let his feet touch our rodent tainted floor. he could only be carried.
in a laughable attempt to try to get soleil to tell us where exactly she found the infamous rat, we threw our hydrogen peroxide doused hands up.

and life was swirling overhead, always elusive.

5 comments:

RedsWritingHood.com said...

ACK! Oh My! Well, on a good note, just remember that it is just like any other creature of this universe, looking for a cozy, comfy place to rest it's head. and big long scary tail! oh sorry, I didn't make it better huh!

Check under the hot tub, they love to nest there.

In the meantime, rent Ratatouille, it should lighten the mood and maybe it will help Xavier to be more comfortable once again.

xoxo
Red

Aubrey said...

yes. under the hot tub/deck was what we were thinking.
when chris was picking it up he said that, gross, it was still warm and it's neck looked broken. it also had wet matted hair like it had been it star's mouth.
yay star!
but still.....so yucky.

Julie said...

OMG! That would have been a hilarious/terrifying sight:) We seem to have so many strange kid moments around here lately that I think I would have burst out laughing. Maybe I shouldn't state this as you may never come to my house again:) but I don't think I would even have thought about cleaning or disinfecting anything. Well I probably would have at least washed the poor kids hands, but that would have been it.

Lee on the other hand might have done exactly what you guys did, he has a fervent disdain for rats! He's even had nightmares about them. I on the other hand haven't catagorized them as any worse than mice.

Anyway, I'm sorry for your emotional upheavel, although it sounds like Soleil wasn't the worse for wear?

Here's to a clean house!

Stephanie Ozenne said...

That girl is fearless. Our dogs have caught rats and birds, but I can't imagine seeing one of my kids holding one!

I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. You handled the whole thing just fine!

Jan said...

I can just see Soleil saying with those rosebud lips, "Look!" She's a pistol and that's a fact.