Sunday, June 10, 2007

So finally...

Wow. I am blogging. How strange. How surreal.
When I first heard of blogging I didn't quite get why people would put their personal lives on display for all to see. It didn't quite make any sense to me. I hadn't read any blogs and really didn't intend to. But then my larger band of hooligans (the mama's) started to share their blogs and I can't tell you how much reading about other's unschooling experiences via blogs have really helped to define and shape my own view on life. I have laughed out loud, cried, been inspired, amazed, excited, and motivated after reading the daily musings of others. So now I am a believer in blogs and had to have one for myself.
I really have been blogging in my head for a few months now. (Does that sound strange?) Kind of like an internal dialogue of how the day was, just journaling in my head. I needed something more concrete. Something to show the kiddos when the get older. I think they will really appreciate seeing little pieces of our lives that would probably get forgotten otherwise. I know I will certainly cherish it.
Now, about the title of the blog. Silly, I know, but we are silly people. I don't think of my family as exceedingly "bad and cool" or "rowdy." To me, hooligan would describe a free thinking person that does what is true for them even if it means bucking the current trend and blazing a new trail. That's unschooling. At least, that's unschooling to me at this moment. :)
Funny thing about the title though. I used the "hooligan" phrase in a web group I belong to and it's was suggested I use for my blog title, so that's what I did. (thanks Steph!)
I hope you enjoy my thoughts on life (and hopefully Chris will be a frequent contributor as well..nudge, nudge.)
Welcome.

2 comments:

Melissia said...

I love that you referred to us as the larger band of hooligans- so funny. I am glad to see you blogging- I love to see what is going on in everyone's life even if I don't see them in RL.

Stephanie said...

Me too - (larger band of hooligans, I mean).
Thanks for the compliment!