Saturday, March 29, 2008

laughing in my awake


the little son loves family togetherness. all of us embraced in a four-way hug laughing and tickling until we all fall down into a big heap of happiness. he loves when we all sit down together for a "beautiful dinner." lately he likes the idea of all of us trying to fall asleep on the king bed. the operative word being try. he insists on snuggling with soleil, which usually get her all crazy-like riled and they end up wriggling around the center of the bed like a pile of super-charged acrobat worms. over, under, sideways, through. chris and i lay on the edges amazed that it's this late and the kids are still this full of energy.
you wanna hear a joke, he asks.
okay, i say.
why did the elephant step on the quarter?
why? i ask
BECAUSE HE WAS FARTING!!!!!

the punchline always gets delivered a few octanes higher and a few decibels louder than the rest of the joke. his jokes are inventive and thought up on the spot, but what gets me laughing is how funny he thinks his jokes are. his laughter is never forced, always smooth.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

there has been a sad song in my soul for the past few days, giving me a heavy heart and causing me to cry whenever i get the chance to be alone. i want to chalk it up to hormones but am thinking it is a signal for me to shake something up. i have been dreaming of some weekend retreat where i could spend some serious time with myself and try to decode the sadness. i need to have enough time away to miss my kids and spouse. i miss having the chance to miss them.

it's not all violins and cry me a river. there is always goodness to be found. always a light at the end of the tunnel.
and so i continue forward.

2 comments:

Earthetarian said...

Okay- I've been reading your blog for a while, lurking and never posting a comment, although every time I read it I seem to say something out loud that I should write here! I've finally decided to bite the bullet and create an account. You are so eloquently and open heartedly sharing bits of your soul. I can no longer be a voyeur.
When I read your blog I feel like you are this little spark inside my head and the only time the thoughts in my head become clear are when I read them on your blog! How are you doing this my dear? How is it that you can take the thoughts out of my head that have yet to even become thoughts????
You are an amazing writer and an amazing person to be able to see things and share things the way you do. Your family is lucky to have you.
We loved meeting you and Chris and the kids in Kanab and I can't wait for our next visit.
Stephanie (another one!)

Aubrey said...

wow stephanie,
you leave be speechless with your kindness. i am touched that you even read my blog let alone that it resonates with you. i sometimes put posts out there and think, "everyone is going to think your nutto." but, then i remember that i think i rock, and so it is.

hope you are well. and give that new babe a big kiss for me.

love,
aubrey