Tuesday, August 21, 2007

again

It's not just about the house. It's about starting over yet again.
It's about what the house represented.
My restless soul finally felt peace, felt at home. I wanted to stay a long, long time. This is saying a lot for me, I have never been able to stay in one place for too long.
I wanted to be the one who made the decision when it was time to move on.
This home was our jumping off point to our dreams. We finally made it to the point where we wanted to really settle and spread out our roots.
We were moving forward. Now, we are looking back. Back to renting (ugh.) Back to packing up our stuff for the 3rd time this year and unpacking it once again. Back to getting our bearings. Back to feeling like somewhere is our home. Back to the kids being uprooted and wondering when we are ever just going to stay for good.
And this is what breaks me up the most. The fact that my kids are paying the ultimate price for my mistakes.
I can already see the pain that this move will bring to them.
Xavier has been saying, but this is my house. Why are we leaving our house?
When we are cleaning the marker off the wall and paint off the carpet he cries out, but I liked that there.
We told our kids that this was our home now. No more moving for us, no sir. Just you all get comfortable. We aren't going anywhere.
Then like a tornado we break the news that we can't stay here, and their lives are in shambles, once again.
We are having to pick up all the pieces, once again.
Will they trust us next time around? Only time will tell. My heart is just aching for them.
Truthfully, if given the choice I would do it all over again. I have learned more about myself, my children, my husband, my values, and my relationship with money then I could have any other way. It just had to be this way.
I understand this. As human beings we all have our character challenges. I wouldn't want to live a life without the challenges, they only make the victories sweeter.
This house has been weighing on my mind and shoulders for way too long. It's heavy and I am ready to be free.
Closing this chapter of my life will be hard, but time will heal all my wounds. The sadness won't be so sad anymore, and I will have new challenges to look forward to.
I just need to pick myself up and keep on keeping on.

3 comments:

Teri said...

Oh Aubrey, I am so sorry :( I know how much you love your home. I can totally relate to how you are feeling. If you want to talk give me a call. I have been there, right where you are. When we moved here from Oregon, I was so angry. My beautiful home that had so much of us in it was literaly being taken from me. I had to leave all my beautiful murals, my incredible garden, the nature preserve that ran through my neighborhood, not to mention all of my friends. I feel your sadness when it comes to your kids. I feel that they had to pay the price for us not being in a place to just stick it out. I can second Stephanie in that good things will come. It is hard to see it now but they will. Let me know if you need anything. I am just around the corner.
Teri

Melissia said...

I am so sorry Aubrey. I have been thinking about you. I think the kids will trust you as long as you are honest when they ask. They can't understand now that you could not see the future but they will someday. Maybe you and Chris and the kids are more of a free range family. Maybe there is a reason you don't like to be one place for too long. Maybe there is more of you to discover in this situation only you will know and only time will tell. Keep your head up. You still have what is most important to you- your family.
Melissia :)

Aubrey said...

Thank you Teri and Melissa for your kind words and friendship.
I am feeling so much better today.
Love to you!!